Gmail’s collaboration tools and integration with other Google products make it the easy choice for most people when it comes to choosing a go-to email service.
Signing up for a Gmail account is quick and easy, and many people have more than one Gmail address for one reason or another. Either way, you may find yourself with too many Gmail accounts.
To make your life easier, you may decide to delete a Gmail account and this article explains how you can do it.
How to delete your Gmail address
Deleting a Gmail account is as easy as registering one, but you’ll need to follow the steps carefully if you don’t want to delete your entire Google account.
First, sign out of any other Google or Gmail accounts you may be logged into in your web browser. This is an important security precaution to avoid deleting the wrong account.
Secondly, you need to log into the Google account which has the specific Gmail account you want to delete. To do this, open a web browser and go to google.com, then click login at the top right of the browser
- Go up myaccount.google.com and log in, if you haven’t already. You will see “Welcome, your name”At the top of the Google account management page.
- On the Google Account Management page, click Data & Personalization in the left navigation menu.
- If you wish, you can download your data before deleting your Gmail account so you don’t miss anything important. Or, if you don’t need to save your data, you can just click Delete a service or your account.
- After that, Google will present you the options again. If you’re ready to delete your Gmail account, click Delete a Google service.
- After clicking Delete a Google service, you will be prompted for your password, and depending on your security settings, you may need to enter a verification code.
- The next screen will show you a list of the Google services you have associated with this Google account, such as Gmail and YouTube, with a trash can icon to the right of each service.
- Then, click on the trash can icon to delete your Gmail account. Google may ask you to verify your identity with another Google verification text.
- You will be asked to provide a non-Google email address before you can proceed. This non-Gmail address is used to access other Google services such as Google Play, Docs or Calendar.
- Enter the non-Gmail email address, then click Send Verification Email.
- Check your alternative email and open the verification message from Gmail. Click the link to continue with removing your Gmail address. This step is important. Your Gmail address won’t be deleted until you click the link.
12. Note: Before deleting Gmail, you can download your emails by clicking on the “Download Data” link at the top of Google’s list of services. You can choose to download all emails or select specific labels. The downloaded file will be in MBOX format and can be opened by connecting an active Gmail account with an email client such as Thunderbird.
13. Finally, click “Remove Gmail” as the last step. Note that deleting your Gmail address will not free up your Google / Gmail username.
How to DELETE GMAIL account
If you want to keep the account but delete your contact list, read How to delete all Google Gmail contacts.
You will not be able to sign up for Gmail with the same username in the future. Since a Gmail address is also linked to a Google account, deleting it will not delete data from other Google services such as YouTube, Google search history, and Google Drive. If you haven’t downloaded your emails from the account, all your emails will be inaccessible.
The next thing to do after deleting a Gmail address is to update any documents that may have that email address. This could include business cards, resumes, your website contact information, and other places where you have provided that email address as a means of contacting you. You should now be up to date.
Delete Gmail from your phone
Another step you may need to take is to delete your Gmail account from your phone (this is especially important if you don’t want to see pop-ups on your phone asking you to sign in).
With both Apple and Android devices, go to your phone settings and locate your “Accounts”. This can be done easily by typing “Account” in the search bar of the Settings.
Find the account and tap on it. Both Android and Apple give you the option to remove an account. After tapping it, you will then need to confirm. The account will disappear from the phone account list. How to permanently delete your Gmail address [Maggio 2021]